Wednesday 27 April 2011

Spinning Wool - Beyond the Basics

Recommended Reading for Spin-a-holics!!!!
I have been reading a book that I picked up in my local library by Anne Field - it's called 'Spinning Wool - Beyond the Basics'.



It is packed with useful information about spinning wool from fleece, and also includes a chapter on different types of wheel - with some nice photos! - they are always of interest....!

Quite a factual book, but without being in any way dry (I've been reading bits to my husband before we go to sleep & he claims to be 'stimulated'.....!!!!) and I have learnt many useful things -  for example, my wheel is a double drive wheel, and I hadn't realised that both Scotch and Irish tension wheels do not let additional twist into the yarn once the yarn is pulled towards the flyer, but on a double drive wheel twist continues to be let into the yarn as it is drawn in.  The relationship between the crimp in the wool and the number of twists to spin per inch is also explored in detail - something else I hadn't thought about.

If you like a book with lots of pictures of lovely yarns then this isn't the book for you -but if you want something with lots of helpful tips then it definitely is....and it might stimulate your partner? (Or not!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment